Cooking a turkey can be intimidating, but really it is quite simple.
Follow these steps below and you will be serving a perfect turkey this year!
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F
2. Remove Turkey from packaging and rinse well under cold water, be sure to remove the neck and giblets
3. Place turkey in a suitable roasting pan and brush outside with melted butter
4. Put turkey in oven and reduce temp to 350˚F (Note: the turkey will need to cook at this temp for 15 minutes per pound)
5. Cook for 1 hour
6. After 1 hour, begin basting the turkey every 15 minutes for the remainder of the cooking time.
7. The turkey is fully cooked when the internal temperature reaches 165˚F (Note: always insert the
thermometer into the thickest part of the turkey)
8. If the turkey is stuffed, stuffing must also reach an internal temp of 165˚F
9. Remove turkey from oven and allow to rest at room temperature for 15 minutes before carving
10. When carving, be sure to use a sharp knife and slice against the grain
For more recipe ideas, visit Macaroni Kid EATS!
- Stuffing the cavity of the turkey with cut up oranges and lemons. This will keep the white meat moist while cooking and also adds a nice citrus note to the basting liquid
- Instead of a whole turkey, you can roast a hotel breast (just the white meat parts of a turkey). Follow the same cooking instructions as above but start basting after 20 minutes
- Many readers said they like to use a cooking bag for the turkey to save on the mess. While we agree that using a bag will help save the mess, we like the crispy skin too much to use one.
- Cornish hens or quail also make nice alternative to the traditional turkey and take much less time to cook